Hope & Gloria - Sewing Inspiration for Children

Hope & Gloria - Sewing Inspiration for Children
Happy Mother's Day UK

Thursday, December 31, 2015

Last Minute Christmas Makes


We had a lovely Christmas full of family visits, food  and fun. I hope yours' was too.

In the hectic run up to Christmas I didn't have time to share my final last minute makes which formed part of our Christmas celebrations, so I thought I'd post about them now rather than leave them to the run up to Christmas 2016!

Christmas jumpers were massive this year. There were loads to choose from in the shops. We had a pre-Christmas family get-together at our house with my Mum, sisters and their families and the dress code was Christmas Jumpers and everyone looked fabulously festive. In the UK this year 18th December was official Christmas Jumper day to tie-in with the Text Santa TV charity fundraiser. So inspired by all of the above I made a set of three embroidery hoops featuring my own designs for Christmas jumpers.



A Cute Snowman


A Delicious Christmas Pud


A Nordic Inspired Stocking

Each of the hoops were embroidered with the lyrics to that old favourite festive song "Let It Snow!" - if only it had this Christmas... 

They are currently hanging on the walls of the hallway by the boys rooms and add a lovely splash of festive cheer. Embroidered hoops are definitely on my list of favourite sewing projects and are top of my list for next year's handmade Christmas decorations.

Taking a momentary departure from sewing and knitting I found myself in a pottery painting studio in the week before Christmas. This year I took the Hope & Gloria Team to Genevieve's Gallery in Englefield Green for our Christmas get-together. I have to admit to feeling slightly nervous about creating with paint and brushes instead of a needle and thread, but we had the loveliest morning and it was brilliant to try a new creative craft.


The staff at Genevieve's were brilliant and gave much appreciated helpful guidance, tips and hints. Lots of lovely creations were made whilst having a good old natter with a coffee and mince pie. I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone looking to take a break from the chaos that is the run up to Christmas.




My Happy Holly Plate!

I chose to make a serving plate and added a holly design. It is amazing how quickly a two hour workshop can fly by and I was relieved to get it finished in this time ready to be fired.

When I collected the plate a few days later I was delighted with the results. Here it is along with the Christmas cake we made as a family. There's still plenty of cake left and I am looking forward to polishing it off with friends at our New Year's Eve party tonight!


Happy New Year Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment